• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Korean basics!
XxfaustxX's Tagalog and Visayan thread is awesome! And very helpful for those who want to be a bit more international than American schools traditionally encourage. I thought I'd help too but the two languages I know best after English are Spanish and Latin. Everyone seems to be taking or has taken Spanish and Latin.. well. It's a dead language. XD So you guys get Korean from me! It's the nextmost language I know the basics in.

I learned what Korean I know through manhwa (Korean comics), a Korean friend, and books. So my Korean might not be what's completely correct. Plus, I have to sound it out phonetically 'cause it's easier to teach.

It can be hard 'cause Korean verbs have no person or tense.. and it's rare that they use pronouns either, in ultra casual conversation. I'll go through the very polite (if I know it) to the informal to the casual and familiar.

a = ah
e = eh
i = ih
o = um.. similiar to ah but.. less.. I can't explain.
u = oo sound, like in soon

I
Na

You
No

We
Uri

Yes.
F - Ne. (I think.. been a while.)
I - Kure.
C - Un. (Kind of like the grunt the Japanese use for the affirmative, but with a U.)

No.
I - Aniyo.
C - Ani.

What?
C - Muo?

Who?
C - Nogu?

Why?
C - We?

Here.
C - Yogi.

Please.
C - Chebal.

Do you speak Korean?
F - Hanguk mal halsu isuseyo?
C - Hanguk mal halsu itso?

How are you?
F - Anyong hashimnika?
I - Anyong haseyo?
C - Chal itsoso?

I'm ok.
I - Chal chineyo.
C - Chal itsoso.

Let's go!
C - Kacha!

Do you understand?
C - Aratso?

I don't understand.
C - Na ihe moteso.

I don't know.
C - Na mola.

Look!
C - Yogiba!

Come here!
C - Yogiro wa!

I'm hungry.
C - Na pekopa.

Sorry.
F - Che song hamnida.

(I'm not conversant with all the family stuff, sorry!)
father - apa
mother - oma
older brother/unrelated older male (addressed by female) - oppa
older brother/unrelated older male (addressed by male) - hyung

Cool!
C - Choa! (A shortened form of "I like it" which is "Choatso".)

Can't think of anymore right now. Ask and I'll see if I know it! Just don't go around addressing little ol' Korean ladies like this. =X My Korean is dirty.
Thanks Alacrana! Its kind of funny but before I saw your post I started rewatching Friends (Japanese/Korean drama) Augh its so damn romantic and cute ^^;

Anyway I have a friend who is currently trying to take on Korean, along with Japanese. Are you proficient and how long did it take you? I haven't dipped much into Korean but I've heard the formal and informal are practically entirely different languages. Makes it a little intimidating (I can't believe I'm saying that about a language -__-) so how is it compared to other languages?
Mandarin's still the hardest language for me, but Gaelic was a close second. Of course, I didn't try really hard with the Gaelic. I don't remember any of it now. XD

But yeah, the way I heard it, informal Korean's changing constantly. The kids speak really differently than the older set. They're getting a lot of influence from other languages too, like English. Some Japanese too, I think, despite cultural differences.

I'm not incredibly proficient. Like, I wouldn't travel around Korea without a phrase book. Most of the phrases and words I know are what the young people speak, the slang. You can't count on people across the country to know all that stuff.

I wouldn't try learning it with Japanese concurrently, given the differences, but hey, maybe your friend is a wizard with languages. Well.. really, the only languages I'd attempt learning at the same time are languages with the same root, like Germanic languages or Romance languages (French, Italian, Spanish, et cetera).
well, i didn't understand the F, I, C, and stuff.... can you please tell me what is it suppose to mean... by the way thanks for a new language thread...
It helps... Smile
I really want to know other languages..
Do or die. Make you choice.
http://www.gangaparis.co.nr/

HEY GUYS! IT'S BEEN 4 YEARS!~
Alacrana Wrote:Mandarin's still the hardest language for me, but Gaelic was a close second. Of course, I didn't try really hard with the Gaelic. I don't remember any of it now. XD

I wouldn't try learning it with Japanese concurrently, given the differences, but hey, maybe your friend is a wizard with languages. Well.. really, the only languages I'd attempt learning at the same time are languages with the same root, like Germanic languages or Romance languages (French, Italian, Spanish, et cetera).

Wow, I remember taking Gaelic a year ago. Or rather I should say Irish Gaelic or Irish. Since there isn't much demand there aren't many books so of the few I found already assumed that I knew everything about Irish even though it was for beginners. At this point all I remember are few of the grammar rules Sweatdrop

I've been told several ways, don't study two similar languages at once or don't study two different languages at once or don't study two languages at once at all. Which way do you have the most experience with? For me its hard to be working on just one language at a time which is why I plan on taking a joint degree in Japanese and another language. I just don't know which one yet...
The only languages I've learned concurrently are Japanese and Mandarin. It just worked out that way. I took Japanese in college, but there were no Mandarin courses. There were, however, two Buddhist temples in town. I went to one that had all female monks and a couple of them, really nice old ladies, would teach me whatever they felt like teaching every week.

That was really hard, although it may have been exacerbated by the fact that my Mandarin teachings were so haphazard.

Hm, no, wait... I also taught myself all the Italian I know while I was taking Latin in high school. That wasn't hard at all. But I've already got a really strong base in Romance languages, so it just seemed to come naturally.

And XxfaustxX, the F stands for formal, the I stands for informal, and the C stands for casual, like what you might hear teenagers saying to each other. Korean can be really complicated with its many forms of address.. >_<
cool. new language forum. *takes notes* ...how do you say 'cool' or 'awsome'?
(\ /)
(o.o) - ...I'm gonna eat you
c(")(")
Guess who has a myspace --> Me!
Guess who has a facebook --> Me again!
one of my favest korean drama evar will always be kim samsoon. kyaaa!! i remember some of the words alacrana listed from the drama.

and ily in korean is sarang heyo
Lets go to hell, with our hands clasped, together. As we enter its fiery gates and hear the cries and shouts of the damned, we'll walk in with smiles in our faces and scorn God, for not even death can withstand our love.
Omg...

That's all I can say...*scratches head* The only thing I can think of is , "wow, that sounds complicated". Really, I had/have a little interest in learning Korean, but I think I have a more interest in learning Japanese. I plan to take a college course on it. Thumbup

Anyhow, my freshman year in highschool I was teaching myself japanese and learning spanish at the same time...not a good idea for me...I kept getting my japanese mixed up with my spanish. So yeah, my teacher kept looking at me like "wtf are you saying?". haha, good times.

I don't think i'll surivive without mixing the words if I learn two languages at the same time. What's this Mandarin? Gaerish? @_@ I've never heard of these languages! >_<
mandarin is a type of chinese. not sure about gaerish...
(\ /)
(o.o) - ...I'm gonna eat you
c(")(")
Guess who has a myspace --> Me!
Guess who has a facebook --> Me again!