• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WANNA LEARN JAPANESE?!?!???
Quote:Hey, I'm gonna attempt to learn some Japanese over the summer, so I have some starting questions:
Which character system should I learn first: Hiragana, Kanji, Katakana, or Romaji?

In my opinion, minna-san you should begin with hiragana first then katakana and to finish kanjis ( I've also began with this..)
Quote:Also, should I focus a lot in the beginning about writing and reading non-romaji things?
YES!! u should try to read easy manga such as bleach or naruto (and learn basics kanjis and vocabularies )
Yeah... I'm really confused about learning a language that doesn't use the Roman alphabet because all the languages that I know or am learning (English, Vietnamese, and Spanish) use the Roman alphabet.[/quote]
me too.. I was so confused when I began to learn japanese but now.. ^____^
anyway I hope my advice'll be useful -> ganbatte
Away
ah, then i guess i'll have to backtrack. I've been teaching myself katakana first. Hiragana it is then. arigatou, sowon.
(\ /)
(o.o) - ...I'm gonna eat you
c(")(")
Guess who has a myspace --> Me!
Guess who has a facebook --> Me again!
Thank you, sowon! =]
for u 2 ur welcome, I continue to learn japanese( muzukasusugiru da) so if u need something.. or have more questions to ask please feel free to do it ^_^
Away
Ditto Sowon's advice Big Grin Everyone seems to start with Hiragana as it's supposed to be the most basic -> Katakana -> Kanji. One of the reasons why our textbook is all in Japanese (ala. Hiragana) is because our teacher didn't want us to rely on Romaji Smile
If you ever take a course you usually always learn the Hiragana first then Katakana however I believe you should mix in some kanji while you're learning the two writing systems. Like learn the kanji for the numbers when you get to that section in your studies. Eventually it will get to the point where its easier/faster to read the kanji than the hiragana, if you can imagine >_<
Good tip about learning the numbers in Kanji, thanks Rynn! Smile I think I'm going to try that as well^^
Wow...
I have A LOT of studying to do... =]
o.O ...ditto
(\ /)
(o.o) - ...I'm gonna eat you
c(")(")
Guess who has a myspace --> Me!
Guess who has a facebook --> Me again!
As do I...I've got hiragana and katakana but I've still got about 1900 more kanji characters out of the essential 2000 to learn... *gathers kanji book and starts drilling* Godspeed everyone...lol

Also while learning the hiragana began learning the basics like some vocab, word order and simple sentences. Good luck everyone!