• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Gigantic BACK-ON FanBook Project - Planning
if we sent them food, it would rot...... perhaps candy...... but not food.......
(07-23-2009, 10:19 AM)Edward Wrote: if we sent them food, it would rot...... perhaps candy...... but not food.......

Point Taken Edward But We Don't Know What Kinda Candy They Like. I Think We Need Nao's Help.
Does Anyone Know If Teeda-San Eats Candy?Benkyou
I'm A Teeda From Back-On FanGirl & I'll Always Be A Teeda From Back-On FanGirl.
Oh wow, I seriously love you all! :love: In the usual way of course! Thanks muchly for your contributions so far - this brainstorming session/thread is turning out to be a storming success!

I'm going to try and summarise it all into the headings below, but please feel free to correct me if I've missed out an idea or could have categorised it better.

Theme
I am really, really keen on the the theme of "Fans around the world" first proposed by ichi and backed up by Edward and Dean. Perhaps this phrase could be in the 'introduction' of our fanbook (like the Utada Hikaru fanbook - I think an introduction or foreword to our project would be excellent!) Would be great to know if we can get a consensus with everyone!

Contributor list
As you know, an email has been sent out to all the Forum members regarding this project. The plan is to promote it on any Facebook group too. It would be nice to have an actual list of fans so we know how many people will be contributing work. Would a separate thread be best for this? Just one reply to confirm that you would like to send/email in something?

Format

There has been some - dare I say - marvellous discussion here about what format we should be using, and I can really see this being a bit of a challenge.

Size
Firstly: I hope we all agree that the standard page size will be A4? So no matter if digital or non-digital, we have some kind of common consensus about the size.

Digital vs paper
Digital - as suggested by Dean, we are an international fanbase, so the pros for this are that it will make life a lot easier than relying on snailmail.

Paper version - I think it was ichi and Beros who both coined the term 'scrapbook' to make it the fanbook very personalised - by fans for the band.

It has been very interesting what you have all had to say about it so far. Could we combine the best of both worlds?

e.g. I think Dean did mention the possibility of scanning a paper design.

I am very much for the paper version, not really because of photoshop, but as mentioned by others, I believe it would allow fans more freedom for their designs.

This is what I sort of imagined: a rather large ring-bound/something bound booklet slightly larger than A4, which would allow us to fix the A4-sized fanpage on to each page/s. If possible the original fanpage, or where the fanpage does not arrive on time, the scanned version.

I still think the templating system by Dean is a super idea. Given the cost involved (the pound wasn't doing too badly a while back Tongue) of sending an entire book into the printers, I wonder if we can use this templating system on a smaller scale for some collaboration pages? Any excuse to use that 'fans around the world' thread!

Throw in your comments, please! Sparklies

Cover artwork
From the discussion so far, there is the option of having either one or two people working on the cover only, or, having everyone contribute towards it to make a 'mashup'.As with the format of the book (above) there are good arguments for either way - where I think the former is more likely to result in a more professional design, and the latter will look more fanmade.

Not everyone has mentioned what they would like of the cover design so far, and this is one part where we can reach a consensus at an early stage, so please do comment!

I am rather more inclined towards one or two people working specifically on the cover, as it would make the job of whoever is collating the work for the other pages a lot easier. Everyone still gets to have a say about the cover design though Smile

Content
Almost last but not least: the content!

Printed content
Content is king. I'm sure we are all in agreement that each fan should have their own page to work on.

Fan letters (as suggested by TeedaFanGirl?), fanart, photo collages (by ichi) and much much more on individual fanpages, as far as your creativeness can take you Smile

It would be a good idea to draw the line at anything rated 18.

And it would be fantastic if we could have one or two 'group' sections that we all contribute to and could thus utilise the super templating system. Does this sound too silly? Mantou

MultiMedia content
I believe Yuki came up with a great idea about a CD of fans singing BACK-ON's songs and/or short videos in a CD of fans saying hello from across the world.

Additional important ideas
I'm not quite sure when the idea of sending food came up (Sorry!) - although I love the concept of sending them a Christmas hamper (Fortnum & Masons?) but practically speaking I think the health&safety people managing BACK-ON might have a bit of a fit. :p We can try and find out what they'd do with it during a Q&A? Wahahaha

Please do keep the ideas flowing~ Pon Yeah It's so very stimulating to read through so many different ideas, as it just shows that BOO forums does have some very inventive people! Hopefully no one has been put off by my comments: this FanBook project is a fan group project, so we want everyone's voices to be heard, particularly during this brainstorming session, to ensure we deliver the best FanBook possible Whip
@Flick I'd Love To Both A Letter & CD If I Wanna. If That's Okay?
I'm A Teeda From Back-On FanGirl & I'll Always Be A Teeda From Back-On FanGirl.
such a huge post...... but most of it is agreeable
woot for best of both worlds! i definitely like! so we can send the original page and the scanned version in case the original takes too long to arrive? Fangirl/boy nosebleed

@flick: for those who are mailing their page in, are you going to have a p.o. box address? and also, what is the A4 measurement in inches/cm? lol i really don't know... Benkyou

as for cover art... huh... maybe we can incorporate their album covers as well as pics of fans with their BACK-ON shirts, cds, etc? i dunno... it would go with the theme BACK-ON fans around the world. Pon Yeah
Lets go to hell, with our hands clasped, together. As we enter its fiery gates and hear the cries and shouts of the damned, we'll walk in with smiles in our faces and scorn God, for not even death can withstand our love.
Maybe for the cover, you know those pictures of all the different colored people holding hands around the world? Maybe do something like that, but with their faces on the stick figure bodies? XD;

Also the Back-On shirt idea is good. I know I have my Adachi Misfits bandana around here somewhere. But maybe using that phrase somewhere since I think that's what Naomi referred to us as? Not sure though.

I also don't know what A4 sizing is, so it would be nice to know this. X3

And why would we need a P.O. Box? I don't know if I have one.

I looked up A4 sizing, and if it's correct its 8.3 × 11.7 inches.

:3
Let’s go! Take off the chains! Spread your wings! Towards the blue world!
@beros: i was assuming that flick would be the one putting the book together so if we were gonna send her the pages it would probably be better if she gave us a p.o. box to send to rather than use her personal address Smile oh and definitely love the stick figure bodies. that would be cute!
Lets go to hell, with our hands clasped, together. As we enter its fiery gates and hear the cries and shouts of the damned, we'll walk in with smiles in our faces and scorn God, for not even death can withstand our love.
Oh yess. I thought you meant everyone would need one.

Thank you. X3
Let’s go! Take off the chains! Spread your wings! Towards the blue world!
Sorry it's taken awhile to reply to you all: I am joining the little group of migrants on our BOO forums, as I'll be moving to a new place (temporarily till the next new place in a few weeks) this weekend. Let's just say the amount of stuff I've accumulated whilst being here is more than a massive headache!

Anyway, back on topic: Loving all the ideas so far! Big Grin We could have a front cover with one design and a back cover with the other design. What do you all think? As I'm not very good with artwork, I would much appreciate it if someone could oversee this side of things (looks appealling at those who can do art Sparklies

@Beros: I'm not very good with inches but I think what you've posted is right. The metric dimensions (or Imperial?) are A4 - 210 × 297mm - hopefully this is the standard printing paper size for most people

@Ichi and Beros: In terms of the PO Box - I'm looking into this at the moment as it seems I'd have to apply for one for 6 months minimum (annoyingly :p) so we'll see how it goes. Maybe this is an excuse for more than one book?

@All: Thanks for all the feedback so far! Smile We're very close to our deadline of sorting our the logistics (might extend by a few days if that's alright) and so far the list of confirmed participants includes (in no particular order):

Ichi
Dean
Edward
Dean
Beros
TFG
Sesshy
Yuki
BizarreFish (by email)
Kenji03_fan (by email)
flick

Hopefully I haven't missed anyone out! Big Grin

What does anyone think of fan comics - suggested by Edward and Dean - and the extra CD/media mentioned from before? Smile

At the moment it looks as though we've got the cover and the individual fan pages. It would be nice to get some 'community' pages going too ~